Wednesday, November 10, 2010 |

Bacon and Potty Training


My 2 (nearly 3!) year old loves bacon. So does my 28 year old. Because this is a love BOTH father and son share, Kris thinks it's totally acceptable for Sam to eat as much bacon as he likes. I harp on both of them about their bacon eating. And I think the reason Kris gives Sam the bacon freedom he does, is so that he can say to himself, "Well, SAM eats that much". As if that makes it okay.

Now, I would probably be more okay with the bacon eating if it were good farm bacon we were eating. A lot of the food in our house, especially lately, is farm fresh and local. I feel good about that. But I HATE FARM BACON. Hate. Loathe. Can't stand. When I first started dating Kris, I remember being served farm bacon at their house. My mouth was offended. I told Kris that I thought it tasted "gamey". He asked if I knew what that even meant. I've tried it a few times since, and I still hate it. I like bacon that has a bar code and preservatives. And because of that, I'd like to at least limit the amount of sodium and preservatives that go into my child's body. Kris, apparently, has no such goal.

Anyways, I became aware of the propensity of the bacon issue a few weeks ago. Sam is potty trained, but still asks for treats after he goes. I usually give him one, or hope he forgets and then I'm off the hook. At this particular point in time, we had some left over bacon in the fridge. Sam knew about it, and had snuck a piece a time or two already. I think you may see where this is headed. Sam went pee on the potty. Then he came out, and said to me,

"Mom, can I have piece of bacon for going pee on the potty?"

There is a serious problem when your child wants bacon as a potty-training treat. Kris was there, and he was lovin' it. And he gave Sam the bacon. ("What?! Positive reinforcement!")

We are so weird.

********

And as a bit of a tangent, while looking for a photo of bacon, I found something FAR weirder than potty training with bacon. Who does this stuff? Who are these people? Whoever they are, they make me feel a heck of a lot more normal.


3 comments:

alisha said...

Oh how this cracks me up. Bacon IS delightful, I'm with Sam and Kris on that one -- but how hilarious that it happens to be Sam's "treat of choice". Too funny!

You won't hate farm bacon once you try Bowen Island bacon...oh. my. word. D and I stayed at the cutest little B&B last year on Bowen Island and the owners ran their own farm, which happened to produce THE BEST farm fresh meats. Including bacon. Seriously, even you would like it, I promise! :)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!

:)

Kate said...

Fantastic!


:)

Post a Comment

I like my blog to be a conversation. Share your voice.