Tuesday, November 2, 2010 |

Apparently my husband knits

The other night, one of the weirdest things happened to me. Let me set the stage.

I am a knitter. I have been knitting for about 9 years now, about the same amount of time that I have been with Kris. (And no, the wonder of how TWO of my greatest loves entered my life at the same time is not lost on me.) In those 9 years, I have repeatedly attempted to have Kris let me teach him how to knit. And I have repeatedly failed. Until the other night. Kind of.

We were sitting together, and I was knitting a toque for our godson for his 2nd birthday. I asked Kris if I could teach him how to knit. Real quick. And just one stitch. So that he could say he helped. Because wouldn't that be neat? Pleeeeeaaaase? (See how I like to make it sound like the greatest idea ever?!)

Preparing for yet another failed attempt to add to my list, I just about jumped off of the couch Tom-Cruise-style when Kris rolled his eyes, and said, "Fine".

HUH?!

"Really?!" I said. He confirmed his prior response, and told me to make it quick. So I cuddled up close to him, and then started my explanation. I put the needles in his hands, and started to tell him where in the next stitch he needed to insert the needle. But as I began, he said this:

"I know, I know. You put it right in here like this, wrap the yarn around back and between the two needles like this, and then pull it down and slip that stitch off."

Pardon me?!

Like I said, the weirdest thing ever. MY HUSBAND KNOWS HOW TO KNIT.

I quickly assumed that he had learned to knit as a child, was actually quite an adept knitter, and had been hiding it all these years. I asked him how he knew, wondering if he would confirm my suspicions or not. He said this:

"Sarah, I've been watching you knit for years. Don't you think I've ever paid enough attention to actually know how it works?"

No, Kris, I didn't.

Reason #93 why I love this man and think he's the cutest ever.

1 comments:

Claire said...

Oh this made me laugh!!!

Post a Comment

I like my blog to be a conversation. Share your voice.