Tuesday, November 9, 2010 |

About Obedience and Mittens

I struggle with being obedient. With trusting that still small voice that runs so deep in me. I struggle with listening to - no, following through with - those gentle prompts from my Father. I hear Him. I know what He tells me. I just don't always do it.

I think a lot of us know how the cycle works. You feel something rising up in you, a little stir in your belly. You know what you're supposed to do. Go talk to that lady, and tell her she's beautiful. Invite that homeless man into a coffee shop and fellowship with him. Call a friend you've lost touch with. Love someone who's "unlovable".

And then the flesh kicks in. They're going to think I'm weird. That's just silly. But who might see me? What are they going to say? What if I'm rejected? I'm sure I'm not the only one who experiences this rigamarole when God lays something on my heart.

Some wise words I recently heard come to mind: Be obedient in the private, and God takes care of the public.

I'm learning to stop listening to those silly voices in my head, and instead obey the one voice that I know speaks truth. I'm learning to be obedient and faithful to what God is prompting me to do, and to trust that God has a plan with it. Even if I never see the ripples.

And wouldn't you know it, but neat things start happening.

I can't hardly count the number of times God has blessed my obedience with little signs that I did what I needed to do. Words confirming the timing of a phone call, hearing much-needed words from a mentor I finally called, stepping into someone's life at just the right time.

And this. This blessed my heart more than I can say. God, you are so good. Tears filled my eyes as I read such kind words. And a confirmation from God that I did what I was supposed to do. Isn't it amazing how if we do what we need to, God takes care of the rest?

To know how God orchestrated it all AMAZES me. I felt like I should make mittens. I have to admit, I did feel a bit silly in a way for sending a gift to such a new friend. I thought she might think I was overbearing. Or trying too hard. But I ignored those messages, and I made the mittens. Then I sent them. And God took it from there. He didn't ask that I make sure they arrive on a certain day. He didn't ask me to figure out all the details. He just wanted obedience in that small area.

And then to read the rest of story - words can't begin to describe how much awe I have for our Father. I think Tonia's words were as much a blessing to me as the mittens were to her. It's all part of the story. God was blessing both of us, and showing us his extravagant love. In His perfect timing.

I'm not perfect in this, and I will still make mistakes. Lots of mistakes. I'm learning so much - about God, and who He wants to be for me, and how there's SO much grace in this journey. And I'm learning how much God blesses obedience and faithfulness. I love Him for that.



7 comments:

Avey said...

Wow Sarah, that's so cool. I feel like you got a shout out on a celebrity blog or something:) I didn't know Tonia was back to blogging.

tonia said...

(((Sarah)))

The mittens are here next to me right now, drying off after a cold, wet outing tonight. I really do love them.

It's such a blessing to see the circle of God's grace, isn't it? Everything He does is good, good, good.

All these things matter, all the little acts of love...I start to believe we could change the world, Sarah. Mittens and a handful of words...what do you think? :)

God bless, dear girl. And thanks again.

arbyn said...

That's a very special thing you did Sarah.

Claire said...

Sarah - you are on a streak here...you have me bawling on every post! :) God has been speaking to me about obedience lately too, this is inspiring. thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Another beautiful story God orchestrated with you - to me not only does this speak of obedience, but acts of love and how simple things build God's kindgom.

Dawn said...

Popped over from Tonia's blog to say, "Yay!" The story touched my heart too. And they look lovely in the photographs.

Sarah C said...

I definitely think these "little" things could/would change the world. Reminds me of a great Momma T quote - about not necessarily doing great things, but doing small things with great LOVE.

So glad that God was able to speak to all of you through this story. :) I'm glad that each of you is here!

Post a Comment

I like my blog to be a conversation. Share your voice.