Wednesday, August 26, 2009 |

Kickin' it Old School

I've been convicted lately of spending time on Facebook.

Sometimes, when I feel these feelings, my first thoughts are, "well, I'm not as bad as SOME people". True. But that doesn't matter. I'm worse than I want to be. Although it's a great "social networking" (I hate that term, by the way - there's nothing truly "social" about it) tool, for me, it encourages complacency. It takes away from my goal of being intentional with relationships. It's too easy. It's too passive. For me, anyways. So I've been thinking, and praying some, and feeling like even though I've taken a huge step back from it already, I still might just break off the affair completely. I feel like that would force me to be intentional again. To kick it old school. Haha.

I realize emails and blogs aren't really old school, but I feel I can connect better with people that way. It's more one-on-one, (well, the emails, not the blog) instead of these mass status updates, comments, etc. that everyone sees. If someone wants to let me know what they're up to, then it's directly to me, and vice versa. And if I feel like I REALLY want to take it back to the good ol' days, I may even pick up the phone. Yikes.



Am I ready for this? I think so.

But I also don't think so. I think there are a lot of people that I will undoubtably lose touch with. But I guess those are the ones that I lived without BEFORE Facebook.

So I'm thinking I might just blog more, to let people know what's happening with us. If they want to know. Email more. Phone more. Maybe even get some really pretty stationary and --- are you ready for it?! --- SEND A LETTER!

I really feel like now that I've said this, that it makes it final. But that's probably good. A challenge never hurt anyone. But I'm still going to let it sink it for a few days. Not too many days, however, or I'll lose my gusto.

So, if you read this, here's my email:

krisandsarah2004@yahoo.ca

Send me a message so I have your email address, and other contact information. And we'll take our relationship back to the days of the horse and buggy. Or so it may feel.

And enter all the incredulous "you're not on Facebook?!" comments. I already get the "you don't have a cell phone?!" questions. But I'll be ready with a witty response. Maybe something along the lines of, "would Jesus be on Facebook?"... haha... just kidding. Kind of.

2 comments:

Janine said...

Can I be the first one to get some pretty stationary??? I agree that Facebook takes a lot less effort, but it does still have it's place. Like everything else in this world (with the exception of God) we need to use it in moderation. We used to spend hours with a pen and paper, writing long notes to each other, as if we hadn't talked for weeks, yet it had only been hours. It was a privilege being your old school communication pal and I would be honored to go old school with you again!

yanmaneee said...

lebron 15 shoes
kyrie 7
golden goose
curry 6
kyrie 6 shoes
longchamp
kobe shoes
jordan shoes
lebron james shoes
golden goose shoes

Post a Comment

I like my blog to be a conversation. Share your voice.