Monday, August 10, 2009 |

5 years of Kris and I

Kris and I just celebrated our 5th anniversary. I feel like this is a mini-milestone anniversary. And it feels weird to think that I have been a wife for 5 years. Weird, but good. And normal. The way life was just supposed to be.

It IS true that you love someone more as time goes on. Looking back to the day we got married, I almost feel like we hardly knew each other then. Of course we DID (or wouldn't THAT have been a gong show!), but in hindsight, we knew each other so much less than now.

I once heard someone say that it is a choice to be in love*. I find that to be so true. While I love Kris, and always will, it's not always going to be the same "cloud 9" feeling we had at the beginning. Because at the beginning, I didn't have to pick up his freakin' work socks off the carpet all the time (which, FYI, he has ceased doing). And you know, even Brad Pitt scratches himself, leaves his dishes out, and leaves clothes in the laundry hamper for 2 weeks without putting them away. (Okay, so Brad has a maid, but you know what I mean.) But what we had at the beginning was nowhere NEAR how good it is now. I think that's pretty cool. And it makes me so excited to think what it will be like in another 5 years. Or 50.

My favourite thing about Kris and my marriage, is that we really LIKE each other. We're really good friends. We laugh at each other, and find the same things funny. We help each other be better people. We're on the same page. He gets me. I get him. And I thank God for what an amazing thing we have together. I think a lot of people search for a long time for this. And I'm blessed enough to have found it. And while all this is a bit sappy, it's true, and I don't think I say it enough. I figured our 5 year anniversary was a good time to reflect. Here's to another 5, 10, 15... years.


*Okay, don't judge me, but it was Dr. Phil. Before he became so Maury-esque. I still think it was wise, despite the source. And he must be good - Oprah endorsed him, didn't she?!

2 comments:

Mark said...

Congrats on your 5 years and here's to many, many more years of liking each other!

Claire said...

Happy Anniversary! (a little late). I'm glad you guys are enjoying each other so much. I too told Matt just recently, I really like you and am really happy. Here's to many more years of loving!

Post a Comment

I like my blog to be a conversation. Share your voice.