Tuesday, April 5, 2011 |

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes

Photo courtesy edmontonjournal.com

I'm the kind of person who likes dreams and ideas. I don't love the piddly little details that come after the fun parts are over.

It's kind of like wedding planning. I loved getting engaged and buying a beautiful wedding dress. I did not like making phone calls, tracking people down, budgeting, or paying bills.  Kris and I often say to each other, that had we known the work and expense that went into it, we probably would have eloped.  Not really.  But maybe.



I've recently ended up in a similar boat.  I'm not getting married again (which is a relief on a few different levels!), but I've committed to something that caught my eye (like a wedding dress), but is going to be a lot of work.


It's called Walk a Mile in Her Shoes.  Kris and I heard about it not too long ago, and we decided, "Let'd do it".  And I don't mean participate.  I mean ORGANIZE.  And all the funds will go to our local women's shelter, which is such a vital and under-supported ministry.  


(As a bit of background on our grabbing of the proverbial bull's... ahem... horns:  Kris and I have always been safe people.  Safe people who like to talk a lot.  Now, we want to move forward.  But really move forward.  We've been reading an amazing book about how God has designed us specifically to do amazing things for the Kingdom.   The author talks about how God has written an extraordinary biography for each of us to live, but that He also made it so that we can't do it apart from Him.  It's powerful.  So, we're stepping out and doing some things that we can't do alone.  But that's just the way He would have it.  "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" kind of screwed us up for the better too.  I think reading both books within a few months is a deadly combination!)


The other day, I had a moment where I realized the sheer magnitude and propensity of such an endeavour.  I have a lot to organize.  I have to get city streets closed.  I have to organize a huge group of volunteers (seriously, if you'd like to help, I would kiss you) to help in many areas of the walk.  I have to solicit businesses for sponsorship.  Panic started setting in.  


Then, I remembered the same Person that laid the idea on my heart in the first place.  God does not lead us into areas that He would have us go, and then leave us high and dry.  I remembered that, and now, I've never been lower or wetter!  I still have moments of feeling like I should freak out, but it all seems strangely manageable.  Not on my own, of course.  But I'm pretty sure that God really delights in His kids doing things in which we are weak, but we allow Him to be strong.  


I am very, very weak.  (Remember how I said I like the wonderful ideas of things, and not so much the doing?!)  But, I'm trusting God to be strong in this, and to equip me.  And, I know that His hand of favour is already upon this.  He has gone before me and prepared and organized this event from front to back.  So, we're all good.  Later today, I'm meeting with our local mayor to get some of the preliminary planning underway.  Yikes.  But not really.


So, if you're interested in helping, I would be very grateful.  And if you would just pray, that would be huge too.  God is going to do some big things with this event.  I can just feel it.


It's time to start writing some good stories.

5 comments:

Avey said...

I can't quit laughing at that picture. The feather boa's & the wig are awesome... but the cop in uniform may be even better. I can't decide :)
I'm proud of you and know it's going to be a fantastic event.

Claire said...

Sarah - Oh my gosh - I love you. I love you I love you I love you. really.

I have to talk to you. I have some ideas along these lines too and want your feedback on this. You scare me too. I thought my ideas were just pipe dreams, but maybe not which is of course very scary.

Claire said...

oh and that picture is hilarious - I was too excited to read what it was about that I didn't pause to really laugh at the picture.

Daina Young said...

Great cause Sarah, good luck planning! If you email me the details of the event (dyoung@rmrf.com) I'll give some thought as to whether there's anything I can contribute. Off the top of my head, if the municipality has a permit or application process for special events and/or road closures, I'd be happy to help with that. Same goes for drafting liability waivers for participants if that's an issue. Let me know!

Anonymous said...

Wow Sarah way to write some stories!! When is it happening? I too have a love/hate relatioinship with books that change my life.

Post a Comment

I like my blog to be a conversation. Share your voice.