Thursday, September 16, 2010 |

Grandma

My Grandma passed away last Monday.

I don't know what the rule is when it comes to blogging about death - but I figure, it's on my mind, so I'm going to talk about it.

She was pretty healthy and independent until only 4 days before her passing. Then she started having strokes, each day getting worse. The worst one occurred on Sunday, and Kris and I decided last minute that we wanted to fly out to Vancouver to see her. Even if we could just hold her hand and have her know we cared, and that we were there for her.

We arrived in Vancouver at 830 in the morning, and headed off to rent a car. Kris checked his cell phone, and noticed 3 messages. Two of them were from my mom, to call her right away. My heart sank. I knew we had missed her. And it turns out, by only 2.5 hours. I'd like to believe that somehow she knew we were coming for her.

But it all happened the way she would have wanted. She was a stubborn, independent lady who would have NEVER taken kindly to being in any kind of care. So for that, I am happy.

We will miss her. Her crazy stories, that were part truth, and maybe part something else. Having tea, or going for pizza and beer (yup, I had a beer-drinking, caesar-loving Grandma!). How much she loved Sam, and how much Sam really liked his "big Grandma" (before he could say "great" - but she was a big woman, and she just laughed and laughed when he'd call her that).

And the funny thing - while going through some of her things, (and making sure she hadn't stashed a large sum of money in her underwear drawer - which is something she would have done because she didn't trust the bank or the government) we found a drawer with about 2 dozen unopened pairs of pantyhose. In addition to about the same amount of opened pairs.

I guess you never know when you're gonna get a runner in your stocking, huh, Grandma?! :)

Sam with my Grandma, right after he barfed on her and then peed through his sleeper!

4 comments:

Claire said...

Sarah - I'm sorry for your loss and for the loss of missing her by a mere 2 hours. You have written about her beautiful, I can sense what a well loved and well-loving person she must have been. I pray God's peace for you and your family.

Daina and Jason said...

I'm sorry for your loss Sarah and sad to hear about it, but it's also so wonderful to see the picture of her with her great grandson. Our thoughts are with you.

Jessi said...

Aww, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard knowing you missed her. My dad died in July and I didn't get to say goodbye and I still struggle with that every day.

Beautiful post. *hugs*

Rebekah said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I am so sorry you lost your sweet Grandmorther receintly. That breaks my heart.

Thank you for the book recommendation. I will try and look into it. I know my story is a little different seeing as how my sons adoption will be open, but how did you feel when you saw your birthmom? I would be very interested to know.

Thanks so much!

Post a Comment

I like my blog to be a conversation. Share your voice.