Thursday, July 1, 2010 |

We ARE still here!



I will post Jack's birth story on here soon. I promise. I have been finding it hard to find spare moments to write - I usually fill such moments with naps, cuddling my boys (did you see how cute they are?!), and just settling in to life. So, I don't feel too guilty about leaving this so long. :)

We are doing very well around here though. After some harder days, we've figured out that Mama can't drink coffee in the mornings. This discovery has made for some much more manageable afternoons, but has left me kind of missing that jolt. And realizing that I definitely had an addiction. Sam is doing well with the transition. He's had his moments, but just as Kris and I try to give ourselves a bit of extra grace lately, we try to give Sam that same courtesy. He loves his little brother, though, and really enjoys holding him, showing him his toys, and trying to get his attention. Some funny things Sam has said and done since coming home from the hospital:
  • The very first day we came home, Jack was sleeping in his bassinet on the coffee table in the living room. Sam was so curious about him, and to be a nice big brother, decided to "share" his toys with Jack. In there we found a police car, a lion, some PlayMobil, and a few other things. :)
  • Upon seeing me feed Jack for the first time, Sam asked me, "Baby bite Mama?"
  • Jack had a little skin tag by his ear when he was born, which the doctor simply tied off with some suture thread, and it eventually fell off. When Sam saw it for the first time, he called it Jack's "birdie ear", because the way the thread ends went, it looked like the rudimentary "V" drawing of a bird. Jack has just been left with a little bump there now, and we still call it his "birdie ear". I think that term will stick.
  • Sam was also very curious about Jack's umbilical cord, which still had the flattened part where the clamp had gone. That part, in particular, was kind of gross looking, and kind of reddish and brownish in colour. Thus, Sam dubbed the umbilical cord "pizza". Not sure I'll look at pizza the same again.
  • Sam LOVES to be near Jack. Anytime Jack is on the floor having tummy time or kicking away on a blanket, Sam needs to be right beside him, often mimicking him. It's not rare to hear Sam grunting, burping, or crying, to try to sound just like his little brother. (The burping is a BIG hit around here... we'll have to work on that one!)
We just feel so blessed by these two little boys. Having 5 older brothers, boys just feel comfortable for me. I can't wait for summers of fishing and camping, and winters filled with "kadooing" and sledding. I look forward to life with my boys.

God is good.

Here's proof:

6 comments:

Avey said...

"Baby bite mama?"
That one is my favorite. Even more so than Theo's "Haircut". Sam is hilarious. And Jack so such a cutie. Congrats again Sarah.

alisha said...

Aw, I love this, Sarah! It's so good to "hear" from you again - I missed your blog posts! I was just telling David last night that I really wanted to see a new photo of Jack - he is SO precious. And Sam's adorable little comments! I love your boys too!

So glad to hear you guys are doing well adjusting into family of four...we love you so much and hopefully we'll get to see you soon!! xox

arbyn said...

Congratulations Sarah. I love the photos you posted, great shots!

Sarah C said...

The shots are done by Avey. Aren't they amazing? Thanks Avey!

Jes said...

so happy for you...they are both adorable!

Claire said...

geeze another post I've missed, where have I been?? (I know you love the double question mark being used as an exclamation, but really - where have I been?!?!????) :)

Post a Comment

I like my blog to be a conversation. Share your voice.