Saturday, January 15, 2011 |

The Best of my Days



I've been reading "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years".  I love it.  It's entertaining, challenging, and makes me want to change.  I'll probably write about this read again when I'm done.    


In the book, Donald Miller talks about how we don't really remember our lives.  We remember really significant things, but not just everyday details.  He talks about a friend of his who does remember everything though, a friend who writes down things he wants to remember.  Even things that seem unimportant.  


I've been thinking about a TON of things since reading this book.  One of these things being how I want to remember more.  Then, I came across this blog post (coincidence?) and decided, "That's it - I want to be better at this."  


Enter the journal.  We started a few days ago, and before we go to bed, Kris and I chat about our day.  The things we want to remember.  Jack's giggles.  Sam's deep and hilarious thoughts.  The bad parts of the day.  The good parts of the day.  Who visited.  Where we went.  Who was sick.  Our hopes.  Our dreams. 
  
It's been fun.  And we want to start a new tradition with our kids, to reflect on the day together and think together.  


Sometimes what I think is not worth remembering will be the exact thing that will bring a smile to my face when I'm 80 and rocking in my recliner.  The good things show me how many good times there really are.  The hard times show me that they're short-lived, they pass, and there is always something important to take away.  It's ALL significant.  


So I want to remember.  Life is worth remembering.  

2 comments:

Claire said...

very cool! Love this idea. We do ask Josiah every night, "what was the best part of your day?" and "what was the worst part of your day?" - What a great idea to start writing those things down. love it. I loved that book too.

Kate said...

Two things in one -- I am "delurking" (although, I am curious if that term has officially become a verb...a bit weird!)... I check in from time to time. And I read this book over the holidays and was very much inspired by it as well. I've actively kept a journal for over 12 years and those archives are not Pullitzer Prize winning words, but they are definitely fascinating in their own right: an incredible catalogue of growth.

Post a Comment

I like my blog to be a conversation. Share your voice.