Monday, June 29, 2009 |

I'm not a SuperMom. And that's okay.

I'm not one of those women whose lives are all consumed by her children. I'm just not. And I've realized, I'm okay with that. And for me, that works.

There. I said it.

And I'm going to expand on it. It's going to be blunt. Beware.

I love Sam. When we have other children, I will love them too. Very much. I love being a mother, and think it's one of the most important roles in my life.

However, I have other things to talk about than diaper rash, teething, the consistency of my child's BMs, breastfeeding, labour... oh, the list goes on. I do talk about those things. Probably more than I realize. But those aren't the only things I know stuff about.

I guess I'm just realizing over time, that once you become a mother, sometimes people assume that's ALL you are. I don't like that box. Some people are okay with that box. It suits some women perfectly to have an entire vocabulary consisting of words and phrases having to do with child rearing. And I'm glad that those women exist, because we're all different, and I appreciate that. But I'm realizing that is SO not me.

I've sometimes felt guilty about this. I shy away from moms' groups. You couldn't pay me ENOUGH to ever run a dayhome. I'd rather go to work. There. I said that too. (Yikes.) I've felt like I'm a bad mother if I don't want to do those things. But I've come to be okay with it. To embrace it. And just relax about it. And realize that it's just who I am.

I'm also realizing how blessed I am to be surrounded by friends who make me feel good about who I am. Yes, we talk about let-down, and child birth, and bum creams, and it's good to have a place to discuss and talk about those things too. But it's so much more. And I'm really blessed by that. And I feel accepted for not being a SuperMom.

So, thanks.

And I hope I did not offend anyone. None of that was meant as an attack on anyone, or women who may be more like that than me. All the power to those ladies! It's just not me. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your blog :)...I am excited to read!
^Jes

Claire said...

you couldn't pay me to run a day home either. I love being home with my kids, so I would do other things, like live in a one bedroom apartment. But there is no way in the world you could pay me to run a dayhome. there, I said it too. :)

Sarah C said...

Hey Jes! Glad you found me!

Claire, good to hear I am not the only one. Makes me feel a bit more normal! I love being home too, and I agree, it's worth the sacrifice. :)

Post a Comment

I like my blog to be a conversation. Share your voice.