Monday, June 1, 2009 |

Adventurous Cooking

Let me set the stage:

I really enjoy cooking and trying new things.  Kris does not.  I enjoy eating meatless every so often.  Kris does not.  I enjoy change.  Kris does not.  I enjoy beans.  Kris does not.  

A little while back, I found a recipe for Chickpea Patties.  Essentially, they're like falafel.  I love chickpeas.  (And, you guessed it, Kris does not.)  I decided to put them on the menu. Kris came home the other night to me grilling my patties.  He looked utterly disgusted.  And a little let down that supper involved legumes instead of animal.  He was a really good sport about it though.  We ate them in pitas, and I made some fresh, homemade tzatziki to go with them.  I thought they were quite good.  Sam liked them too.  And Kris liked them more than he would care to admit.  They definitely came out on top of my blackbean burgers.

I grew up in a home with 6 kids.  And a mom who claims that wild meat makes her ill. Needless to say, suppers were kind of bland and very, you know, normal.  With 6 kids who each have an array of likes and dislikes, and 2 who'd only eat Kraft Dinner, you can see why this was.  Kris grew up having to eat stewed tomatoes out of the can, and had to take Tums when they were on vacation and not eating normally.  For the calcium, of course.  My goal is to have our children grow up trying new things, and being exposed to some different foods. That way, when they go to someone's house, and supper ISN'T pepperoni pizza or spaghetti, they'll be able to handle it.  We'll see.  So I have my reasons.  And I think Kris is coming around...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I like my blog to be a conversation. Share your voice.