Friday, May 15, 2009 |

Nosy Neighbour

So we have this neighbour.  I just have to say from the get-go that she is a very nice person.  Her and her husband are amazing to have around - they're friendly, helpful, and even brought us a gift for Sam after he was born!  So nice.  

But here's the hitch.  She's a bit on the over-bearing side.  You know the type, right?  They're so nice and well-meaning, but also find a way to get their opinion in.  For example, I had taken Sam for a run in the jogging stroller a few weeks ago.  When we got back to the house, they came over to say hi and chit-chat for a few minutes.  Seeing that Sam's legs were bare between where his pants end and his socks begin, she felt his legs and talked about how I should have had him better bundled.  And she says it in words like this, "Mom, my legs are cold!"  And then just a few days ago, after supper, I had Sam in his little car to take him for a really quick stroll down the block.  She saw us and started saying that Sam EITHER should have had a hat on, or some sunglasses.  Here's the thing:  It's May, it was 6:30 in the evening, and we were out for about 15 minutes.  Not really a recipe for sun-stroke, heat exhaustion, or melanoma, right?!  I just kind of chuckled and said that he didn't keep them on anyways  (which is true, but why was I justifying?).

In these situations I'm always caught between 2 reactions:  1) Look at the ground, say "Yes'm", and then make sure to listen to her next time; OR 2) Tell her where to go and how to get there (I mean, not really, but at least be a bit more assertive and hold my ground, and NOT justify myself to her).  I mean, there's certain people in my life that I WOULD be more assertive with.  But I have a lot more invested in those relationships, and it's important to me, however hard it is, to have those relationships function in a healthy way.  But this is my neighbour.  It's a lot more complicated, because it doesn't really affect my life.  But it does.  *Sigh*  What's a Sarah to do?  

Well, at least it can maybe help me get to a place where I don't worry if other people think I am a good mom or not, where I don't feel the need to please people, and where I don't feel the need to explain my decisions to others.  Oh, but it can be so hard... 

Another step in the journey....  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I like my blog to be a conversation. Share your voice.