Tuesday, February 24, 2009 |

Trusting the Pattern

I have always seen knitted socks as the Mount Everest of knitting.  I attempted socks once, many moons ago, and failed.  I never made another to match it (look below and you'll see why!). So I finally started on making some socks again, this time with a bit more skill and the proper yarn to back me.  Turns out, both of those things help quite a bit.  It turned out great!  Made a few mistakes along the way, but it was tricky... grafting a toe and turning a heel are not an easy task to learn.  So I used a Universal Sock Pattern, which turned out kind of plain, but fits amazing so I don't really care.  Kris was laughing at me a bit for being so excited about it, because I have knit things like sweaters, which are much trickier and take longer.  But the sock is my Everest.  Now I just have to knit the other one!  Here's a photo of my newest victory, and a photo of the OLD sock versus the NEW and improved sock.  Note how the new one actually fits a human foot.  Not sure what species of foot the old one would fit.  

  














A lot of sock patterns, while you're making the heel, will tell you just to trust the pattern.  It's funny, because once the heel is done, it looks just like it should.  But while I was knitting, I was a bit skeptical.  I really think this is a lot like my life.  God just tells me to trust, because he knows what the finished product will look like, and how to get there.  But I can only see the one step, and not the big picture, so it's hard for me to trust without knowing for sure that the finished product will make sense.  I feel like this is a good thing for me to remember next time I feel like I'm not sure what God is doing, and I'm facing an Everest.  (Which is fairly regularly.)  If a sock pattern turns out, how much more will God's plans for our life turn out?  

"A man's steps are directed by the LORD.  How then can anyone understand his own way?"  Proverbs 20:24      

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I like my blog to be a conversation. Share your voice.