Monday, February 23, 2009 |

Breaking (well, making) bread together

One of Kris and my dreams is to live on a commune one day.  (Not a weird, cult-ish commune, just a community of people who work and live together.  No Kool-Aid here!)  We really feel like it makes a lot of sense.  Living in community, sharing resources, and investing more time in relationships.  In North America, we are so self-focused with the way we spend our days.  The things we put time and effort into on a day-to-day basis are usually to benefit just ourselves and our own families.  

My usual example of this is of making bread.  When I make bread, it's a solo activity.  I chase Sam around, while desperately trying to finish my bread so I don't neglect my child anymore.  And it benefits my family only.  It's not really a lot of fun.  (Hence the breadmaker.)

Now compare that with life on the commune.  To make a batch of bread, all the women would take a day, and do it together.  The kids would play on the floor together, and the women would visit.  A chore turns into an activity that benefits multiple families, all the while investing time in relationships.  

That's not to say that it wouldn't have it's share of issues, but I think it would be a neat, not to mention rich, way of life.  An interesting concept to think about, anyways.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I like my blog to be a conversation. Share your voice.