Wednesday, August 25, 2010 |

Clothes and Baby Weight

One of the blogs that I recently started reading confirmed one of worst nightmares:

I wear "Mom" jeans.

Not necessarily the mom jeans of yore - waistband at breast level, pockets that sit nicely in the small of the back, tapered, about an inch too short, and of course, a total accentuation of the typical mom "cheese pouch" (what IS the proper term - or in the very least, a nicer term - for that bit of flabby fat below the belly button?!).

No. Apparently the new mom jean is the low-rise, straight leg. Sigh. I should have known.

I have been avoiding the skinny jean for quite some time. It's SO hard to latch onto a fashion craze that I can only remember as being totally dorky. I remember the poor schmucks at school who were still wearing tapered jeans looong after they'd run their course. (I also remember sometimes being that schmuck. Vividly remember, in fact.) Turns out, those schmucks would be cool now. I just can't wrap my head around it.

Now, I think skinny jeans look good. At least, usually. And on other people. Just not on me. But then, I have this whole mom jean issue. So maybe it's worth a shot?

My wardrobe is in a sad state of affairs. And it consists largely of (mom) jeans and (mostly ill-fitting) t-shirts. I have a lot of belly flab leftover from Mr. Jack... which makes most of my shirts too small and causes most of my jeans to give me a muffin top. But I don't really want to buy new clothes because then I feel like it's a reason to stay like this, in this shape. And that is NOT an option I want to discuss. Sigh. What's a girl to do?

I think I'm going to go eat a chocolate cookie.




4 comments:

alisha said...

Oh Sarah, you kill me! I just read this out loud to David and had troubles getting through it without laughing :) I love your description of the "cheese pouch"...since we were kids we always referred to it as a "ponch". Hmm. Can't decide which sounds better. ;)
Anyway, you look AMAZING, regardless of the pouch or the ponch or the pooch or whatever. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

You had me laughing so hard - this could so be me!!!

Avey said...

Enjoy your cookie.

I've been considering the skinny jean too. My reasoning for not doing it has been my big hips - but I have seen 'hippy' girls wearing them and pulling them off. My other problem - fat calves. The reason I would like a skinny jean is to wear the big boots over them. But my calves are too big for a tall boot even without a jean stuffed in there too.

But I"m still thinking about trying a pair on one day.

Angela said...

Avey I think the same as you when it comes to the skinny jean! What doesn't help for me, is that everywhere I look, girls here in Malta are skinny B's lol. But when I do see a girl with hips pulling certain clothing off that I would only hope to be able to wear, it gives me more confidence. If she can pull it off and feel comfortable then why can't I ?

Post a Comment

I like my blog to be a conversation. Share your voice.