Tuesday, September 8, 2009 |

A commitment

While reading Isaiah 58 everyday, one of the verses that has struck me is this one:

6 “No, this is the kind of fasting I want:
Free those who are wrongly imprisoned;
lighten the burden of those who work for you.
Let the oppressed go free,
and remove the chains that bind people. (NLT)

While praying through these things, and thinking and reflecting, I've realized that while I don't run or own a sweat shop, I keep them in business. Kids who are the same age as my precious nieces and nephews, and Sam in not that many years, are making the clothes that I am putting on myself and my family. I am not proud of that. Those are the people who are "wrongly imprisoned" - what I am doing to lighten their burden? Am I letting them go? Am I removing their chains? No. Rather, I am keeping those chains on them because I bought a Gap sweater on sale.

The solution? Maybe committing to only wearing things that are made in Canada, found in a second hand store, or EVEN made by myself. Is that something I can do? With a little help.

I'll keep praying about that one. Maybe you even want to join me in that commitment.


5 comments:

Mark said...

This is what Free the Children is about! This will break your heart... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yn8mDKeEkU

Claire said...

yes, it is possible!! I'm going to do it/trying to do it. For 6 months last year I gave up buying anything new, everything had to be second-hand, and you know what, it wasn't awful. My sister made a joke when we were in the mall the other day, a lady wearing a gawdy, ugly outfit walked by and after she walked by my sister started laughing and said, "that's what you are going to look like when you start making your own clothes!" ...:) but at least I won't be holding others down with chains so I can look cool. (i didn't say that to her, I just laughed along with her, because it was pretty funny).

Sarah said...

Yay! It helps SO much to not feel alone in it. It also helps to know another person, living in this society, that has been able to do it. Oh Claire, we so need to live closer. We could have sewing days. Trade patterns. I found a site the other day that showed how to make panties out of old t-shirts! Hilarious! :)

Haha, that is a funny story. Hopefully we can look hip, like those cute granola chicks... let's hope!

Anonymous said...

Hey, my name is Tina, I'm a friend of Claire's from years ago... I have been trying to do the exact same thing! (like all the way down to only using made in Canada, found in a second hand store, or made by yourself) I would love it if you posted patterns or more good sites/stores. Another store that's supposed to be good is Northern Reflections. (apparently)

Sarah C said...

Hey Tina! Glad you found me. And glad there are others out there! :) I will definitely post anything good I find. It usually takes some digging, so it's a great idea to share sources and patterns. Thanks!

Post a Comment

I like my blog to be a conversation. Share your voice.